Records & Information
City records are available and keyword searchable in the City's Online Records Database (and we are willing to help you with your search if you have any difficulties; send an email to the Records Administrator). Types of records that are accessible to you online include:
- 19,000 Building Permits since 1983 and 4,200 Certificates of Occupancy since 1978
- 10,200 minutes of City Council and boards and commissions since 1881
- 2,400 ordinances since 1881
- 2,400 City Council resolutions since 1944
- Budgets and financial reports of the City.
- 7,000 agendas of City Council and boards and commissions since 1958
- 4,000 news articles, newsletters and press releases about the City of Durango since 1963 (this is the best way to search for Durango Herald articles about the City government)
- Many thousands of digitized historical records back to 1881, including photographs, memorabilia, histories and audio recordings--plus 1,450 folders of records of historic building inventories.
- Plans, reports, and studies that were produced for the City (1956-current)
- ALSO, current City financial data is available dynamically at the Financial Transparency Portal by NEOGOV.
Police Records Requests
If you would like to obtain a Durango Police Department (PD) record, you must complete the department's PDF form. A completed form can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and they follow up with you. The PD can process payment for their fee over the phone, and does not require you to bring in the form in person to the police station, although you may do so if that is more convenient for you.
Planning and Community Development Records Requests
If you have a development-related question or would like to request a zoning verification letter, please contact the Planner of the Day first, via email to email@example.com or by phoning the staff at 970-375-4850. Note: City-issued building permits and certificates of occupancy are now nearly current on the Public Records Portal (choose one of those two document types from the Search Type list there).
Other City of Durango Records Requests
If you would like to view City records (other than PD and CommDev, as noted above) via the Durango City Clerk's Office:
- Submit a Public Records Request online.
- Or, print and complete pages 7 and 8 of the pdf version of the Records Request . You may mail or bring it to the City Clerk's Office located in City Hall at 949 East 2nd Avenue, Durango, CO 81301. Please call (970) 375-5010 to verify the City's receipt of your faxed or mailed Records Request.
Fees may be charged for obtaining copies of documents, if the staff time to provide them is estimated to require more than an hour, and depending on the records delivery format. For the schedule of fees, please see the Public Records Request form or the Public Records Policy or contact the City Clerk's Office at (970) 375-5010.
The City of Durango first adopted the City's Public Records Policy in June of 2013, approved an update effective July 1, 2014, and most recently (on 12/1/2020) approved a further revision effective January 1, 2021.
The City has also adopted the Colorado Municipal Records Retention Schedule. The current (as of March 22, 2021) schedule is available as a single searchable 163-page PDF document here (the index is at the end of it).