Digital Materials & Library App
Use your smart phone, tablet, laptop, desktop or smart TV (or some other device we’ve forgotten to mention) to browse the catalog, read eBooks, listen to audiobooks, watch movies or listen to music – all available 24/7/365.
Libby, by Overdrive offers over 6,000 eBooks and audiobooks – patrons can choose from current best-sellers to the classics spanning dozens of genres.
For users who prefer a Libby app-like experience in the browser to search, checkout & read/listen, please click here.
With more than 1 million titles in the Hoopla collection, patrons have access to movies, music and television shows as well as magazines, graphic novels, comic books and the Great Courses series (and, of course, more eBooks & audiobooks).
For those looking to access academic- or research-oriented materials, please visit our online databases page.
Getting Started With Libby, by Overdrive
On your smartphone or tablet:
- Search for Libby, by Overdrive in your app store and download to your device.
- Allow the app to find Durango Public Library based on location (or manually search for it by library name or zip code) and sign in with your Durango Public Library card number.
- Download your eBooks and audiobooks within the Libby app (recommended method) or the Kindle app.
- As of June 1, 2023, the Libby app is now available for Kindle Fire from the Amazon App Store.
- The OverDrive app was removed from the Amazon Appstore on June 7, 2023. Fire tablet users who already have the OverDrive app installed can continue to use it for now, but it is no longer in active development. The OverDrive app will display messaging encouraging those with compatible devices to upgrade to Libby.
- Users with OverDrive’s Libby APK on their Fire tablet can continue to use that version. If a user would like to switch to the Amazon Appstore version of the app, they can follow these steps. Note: Users who switch from the APK version to the Amazon Appstore version of Libby may lose their Libby timeline activity, search history, and app customizations. They will not lose their loans, holds, or tags.
On your desktop/laptop:
- Sign in with your Durango Public Library card number on our Overdrive home page.
- Read or listen to your eBooks and audiobooks in the browser.
Libby, by Overdrive FAQs
- Patrons can have up to 10 items checked out at a time.
- The default checkout period is 14 days (which can be adjusted in user settings).
- Most materials can only be checked out by one user at a time. If you place a hold on an item, you will receive an email when it's available for you. You have 3 days to check out the item once it's available before the hold is cancelled.
- You can stack multiple library accounts in the Libby app. For example, if you have a library card with Denver Public Library in addition to your Durango card, simply add Denver Public Library to the app, enter your Denver Public Library card information and browse & checkout from that collection, as well. Downloaded items from multiple libraries are available simultaneously within the app.
Libby, by Overdrive Help
Getting Started With Hoopla
On your smartphone, tablet or smart TV:
- Search for Hoopla Digital in your app store and download to your device.
- Sign up for an account. If your email address has already been used to sign up for a Hoopla account with a different library, you'll need to either register with a different email address OR logout of your existing library and log in with Durango Public Library.
- Stream or download your checkouts within the app.
On your desktop/laptop:
- Register for a Hoopla account.
- Checked out materials can only be streamed on desktops and laptops - not downloaded. eBooks and audiobooks will open in the browser.
- Check-outs are limited to 5 items per library card per calendar month.
- Checkout periods:
Movies & Television Shows: 3 days
Music & Magazines: 7 days
eBooks, audiobooks, Comics/Graphic Novels: 21 days
- Items can be renewed, but a renewal counts as one of your 5 monthly checkouts.
- If you already use Hoopla with a different library, you can switch between library accounts under Settings > Library Settings. Materials checked out from Library A will still be available for you in the app when you are logged into Library B's account.